Friday, October 9, 2009

2 Nephi, chapter 13

This chapter reminded me of my days in Young Women. I had a YW leader who lectured us on this chapter at least once a month. This is the chapter that talks about all the ornamentation and fine apparel of the Daughters of Zion...

In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments, and cauls, and round tires like the moon;
The chains and the bracelets, and the mufflers;
The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the ear-rings;
The rings, and nose jewels;
The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping-pins;
The glasses, and the fine linen, and hoods, and the veils.


All I could think about as I read was the endless lessons we had on the evils of vanity - she was really VERY concerned about this topic. Even when the lesson was on something else, she would segue back into this. Sadly, the effect it mostly had is that my best friend and I always left those lectures with an urge to go get a piercing or jewelry or something... just in rebellion about the very strict viewpoint! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment