Thursday, August 13, 2009

1 Nephi, Chapter 8

Having grown up in the church, I have of course heard Lehi's dream about the tree of life many times. I kind of started skimming through this chapter, because I know the story of this vision. But as I was reading, my attention was caught by something that I haven't really thought much about before. Verse 21 says that there are "numberless concourses" of people starting out on the path to the tree. I can't even picture what a huge throng that would be. So many people starting out on the right path.

But along the way there are so many distractions that pull people away one by one, until by the end, the number of people actually making it to the tree is much smaller.

There are so many distractions in life that pull us away from what we should be doing. We need to pay close attention to where we are walking to be sure we are still on the path, gripping the iron rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment